Friday 7 August 2015

Chicken with Marsala wine and mushrooms cooked to a blissful state


So, this is the first savoury dish that I am logging into my portfolio, or should I say E- portfolio? Either way, I wanted to show you my cooking skills as well as my baking skills.

So I made this delicious dish, if I don't say myself. It was yummy and had depth of flavour, was rich, flavourful and deliciously fresh.

For this dish, it won't take long to make it initially, but you will need around 30-40 minutes set aside to allow it to reduce and simmer away to allow all those delicious ingredients, that you so lovingly prepared mingle and get to know one another.

The ingredients that you will be needing are;



Just a wee note, keep in mind that for this recipe, I didn't use the measurements. I just used it for the ingredients and then used my own measurements. I found this recipe on All UK Recipes... just in case you wanted their measurements.

- Chicken breasts- I portion it out depending on the people eating. For example, it was just mama and I, so I used well 3 because we were hungry hungry hippos, but normally I would base it on the ratio of 1:1. So 1 hungry hippo (person) = 1 Chicken breast.

- A pinch of salt, I go by two twists.

- A pinch of black pepper, again two twists, or three maybe, whatever you like really.

- Some granulated garlic.

- Some Italian seasoning, I have this dried and in a little jar thing, but you can use oregano, other herbs or what you have to hand. It is just going to give more flavour really.

Now you want to mix this all together. Take your chicken out of the pack and cut off any yucky bits like fat or blood. Pop it onto a chopping board, red if you have it or your designated raw meat board. Sprinkle on the flour, salt, pepper, garlic and herby goodness on top of this and begin to turn the chicken in the floury mix. You want the chicken to be coated in this thoroughly.


The chicken is prepped- yay! Now for the mushrooms, get as many as you want, I used 8 and peel the skin back and chop into long slices/ strands. Put these into a bowl and then set aside. These will go into the pan with the chicken once cooked partially.

Now we are ready to start cooking! You're gonna need;

- 2 tbsp of oil- whatever you have lying around. I wouldn't advise flavoured oils however as that will give you a different taste in your dinner. Like if you used chilli, then you'll have chicken with Marsala, and chilli. Spicy.

- Butter- enough to give the pan you'll be cooking in a good greasing, about 1 tbsp as you'll be adding a glug of oil to this as well. The butter is for flavour and colour, and the oil to stop it from sticking and all.

Heat up the oil and butter in a fairly large pan, non- stick preferably and wait until it is hot. Set this to a temperature as high as your hob will allow, as want to seal the chicken and get a good colour on it. A good way to tell whether it is hot enough is to hover, not touch, but hover your hand over the pan and if you can feel the heat then it is ready.


Pop the chicken in and let it sizzle and colour and cook. After around 3 minutes check and keep checking until it is a deep golden brown, toasty colour. Once this is achieved flip it over and let it do the same to the other side.


Once flipped over and cooked for a few minutes (2-3) add the mushrooms. Now you know why the pan needed to be large. Then add the Marsala wine, I added around a glass, but it was really to my taste. All the alcohol is burned off, and only leaves the flavour. I wanted there to be enough of it, so it could carry the flavour of the dish. So see what suits your tastes.


Now the chicken, Marsala and mushrooms, and all those lovely seasonings and components are in the pan, bubbling away, cover it with a lid and let it simmer and reduce until luscious and full of flavour. You want the liquid to reduce quite a bit, so keep checking on it to ensure it is reducing, but not too much as you want a bit of sauce.

Keep tasting it as well to check the seasoning. You want it to match your tastes, so if it needs more salt, add more. If it needs more garlic, add more. If you want more Marsala, go ahead! :)

Once the sauce has reduced and is beautiful, add the butter. This will give the sauce a lovely glaze and will make it even more delicious and full of flavour.

I served this with mashed potatoes and was intending on having some green beans as well, had I not forgotten about them. Those poor wee beans. Ah well.

For the mashed potatoes,

- 4- 6 Maris Piper Potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- Salt
- Pepper
- 50ml of milk
- A knob of butter (1 tbsp)

You want to heat up a pot with boiling water and salt to season the water. Then chuck in the potatoes and rapidly boil on the highest heat your hob will provide until cooked through. Use a blunt knife to pierce them as this will give a more accurate reading as to whether they are done, compared to if you used a sharp knife. If you used a sharper knife, it will go through easily. Giving you false hope on your taties being done.

Once cooked through, drain them, but leave a little cooking water in, a dribble really. Mash and then add the milk, salt and pepper (to your tastes). Get a whisk and then whisk them until smooth and silky. Or if you like your mash more lumpy, don't whisk it. Then add a tsp butter, as is will give it a nice flavour and colour.

Now all you need to do is plate up and eat to your heart's content.

I hope you have enjoyed his new savoury post and I'll be back!






No comments:

Post a Comment