Wednesday 8 July 2015

Cushla's Chocolate Cookies

Hello,


So today, I have already made wholemeal bread rolls, but Cushla wanted cookies. So the loving sister that I am, I made her cookies. Plus her friend Kathryn is round, so they are really for her. These are chocolate chip cookies, that are crunchy on the outside, but gooey on the inside. And the best thing about these, they get better as time goes on.

They are really simple and quick to make. I love it when you can come home after a busy day, or are cooking for some occasion, but don't want to exhaust yourself with a long recipe that will require a lot of concentration and time. Yes they require concentration and you need to weigh out the ingredients exactly, because often in baking, if the ingredients aren't weighed out properly, you mightn't get the result you want. But they are chilled out and fun to make.

One time, it was Christmas Eve and I was making a lot of desserts with shortcrust pastry, so I decided to make the pastry the day before. But the chipper, excited child that I was, I didn't concentrate and put the sugar in, but to the amount the flour should have been. This meant that, being the saver bee that I am, I decided to make A LOT of shortcrust instead of throwing it out and starting again.





This was a sport in itself. The weight of the pastry was so heavy I couldn't lift it up for more than a few seconds. Cushla described it as the size of a small pig. Not a piglet, but a small pig. This was considerably bigger than a piglet. Or a chicken, a large chicken. I'll try and find a picture if I can.


There we are, now you know what it looks like when you mix up your ingredients and the amounts they should be. :) All in good spirit.

Anyway, here is the recipe for the cookies that I hold to be the best cookies ever. For this I used a recipe I found on the UK All Cookie Recipes.

- 250g Plain Flour
- 1/2 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 170g Unsalted Butter, that's melted. I don't use unsalted if I don't have it. To be honest I don't really taste the difference. They're cookies. They'll always be good food to me.
- 200g Dark Brown Sugar
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp (tablespoon) Vanilla Extract
- 1 Egg
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Chocolate Chips- the recipe says to have 325g, but I put in as many as I think are needed

-170C for 15 minutes, or until the surface is flat and is rippled with cracks



To make these cookies, all you need to do is this;

After you've weighed out all the ingredients, you need to put the butter and sugars into a bowl and whisk until a light brown, that looks creamy and delicious. Then add the eggs and vanilla extract, this will make the mixture silky and smooth, you can really see what they bring to the batter.

Time to add the flour, bicarb and salt. This makes a soft, gooey dough that can be easily divided into portions using an ice cream scoop. Add the chocolate chips and Bob's your uncle. The cookie dough is complete.


I then scooped the dough out using an ice cream scoop and scooped them onto a baking tray, lined with baking paper. I then put these into the oven and they baked for 15 minutes. The smell of these baking will change your life. They smell happy. That is the best way I can describe it- when you smell them, you smile.



I took the cookies out of the oven and placed them onto a cooling tray to cool completely. And that is it! Cookies are ready to eat with ice cream, a cuppa, or on their own. Alternatively, once cooled, you could pop one of the cookies into a bowl with some marshmallows and chocolate sauce into the microwave or whatever you want and create your own version of a s'more. Yum!


Till next time folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment