Wednesday 9 September 2015

My Version of a 'Belfast Poke'




I was feeling creative today and was buzzing after a delivery to a lovely customer! I made 2 Pea and Ham Quiche and delivered them along with a list of the other savoury dishes that I cook.

So just so you all know, if what you are looking for isn't posted yet, it by all means does not mean I don't cook, bake or cater to that need, I just haven't got around to making it yet. So please, if you were thinking of ordering something, but weren't sure whether I'd make what you wanted- give me a call. It would be a pleasure to cater to your exact specification.

I love to cook/bake + you love to eat = Happiness and full tummies!

So today, I wanted to make something a little silly, creative and fun! Born, were my version of the Belfast Poke, but in bun form, which until my mother told me, is our (as in we Irish/ Belfast folk) version of an ice cream and what we refer to it as. News to me! I always referred to them as '99's' or simply see it is ice cream and inhaled it within 5 minutes or less.

I hope you try these as they are dead easy, or shall I say 'wee buns' and they are fun! Plain and simple. Are you looking for a little relief from your busy, grown-up and responsibility filled day? Yes, then make these or better yet, order them from CVL Bakes, as in me and you can relax, knowing that in the near future, these little bundles of joy will be gracing your home with their playfulness and pure 'cute factor'! Go on- you know you want to... (:

One will require the following ingredients to make these beauties: 

(I feel like I went from casual, to formal and back to casual in the way I wrote very abruptly there?) Hmm...


For the Base of the Bun:



- 110g Butter, softened
- 110g Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs, whisked with 1tsp Vanilla Extract


- 110g Self Raising Flour

For the Vanilla Buttercream:



- 30g Butter, softened
- 16 tbsp Icing Sugar


For the Decoration on top of the Buns:

- 2 1/3 Flake, broken into 3 sections. This will give a flake bit for 3 buns


Method:


> Preheat the oven to 170C in a fan assisted oven to warm up. Place 7 bun cases into a bun tray and leave aside to use later.

BATTER:



> In a bowl, weigh out the butter and caster sugar and whisk together, until light and fluffy looking.

> Add the eggs. Before adding them though, put them into a little bowl along with the vanilla and whisk together until little bubbles appear on the surface. Whilst the mixer is on a low speed and gently whisking the butter/ sugar mixture, dribble in the egg.

It is probably going to look scrambled in the end, no matter how gingerly you dribble in the egg, but it doesn't make any difference in my eyes. It all comes out right in the end after baking, no matter what it looks like raw.

If it looked great raw, why would we bother baking? Sure there's the risk of salmonella, but people drink those raw egg smoothies all the time. My point is don't eat it raw, it won't look or taste good. It isn't worth the risk of salmonella. Even if it does, don't eat it still, raw eggs are yucky.

When they cook they become these wonderful little creations. Light and fluffy. Wholesome. Nutritional and full of good stuff. When they are raw, it looks like something your pet would bring up.

FUN FACT: I heard that some TV Chef , the name has slipped me of course, imports their eggs from Italy. The reason for this being that the yolks are more golden and luscious apparently? Who knows really. :)

Believe me- when I was younger (and my sister can testify to this) I was a little too experimental and free with my cooking. I used to add egg to everything, including dishes where egg was never intended to join the party. Chicken dishes come to mind, and they weren't salads... dark times

> After you have combined the eggs with the butter/sugar mix, you want to add the flour. You don't need to sift this, but if you want to that is as cool as a cucumber.

> With an ice-cream scoop, take even portions (ice-cream scoop sized funnily enough) and pop them into each bun case. This batter amount will make 7 buns. If you used a tablespoon, the batter might stretch to 8 or less depending on how much or little you put in each case.

> Pop these into the preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes or so. You want to be taking them out when they are golden brown, cracked on the surface, risen and when you insert a skewer or something and it comes out clean.
   
> When cooked and out of the oven, mine is called George btw. Place them onto a cooling rack and place them upside down to flatten and even out the tops of them, making it easier to pipe onto.

> While they are cooling, we can get on with making the buttercream.



BUTTERCREAM:

> Put the butter into a food processor, or bowl, whatever is up for the grabs.

> Whisk this until creamed and smooth.

> Add the icing sugar little by little. You want to whisk and taste it after each addition to make sure;

A) That it is combined completely

B) That is tastes like it should

I base the taste test on whether there is still a buttery aftertaste. If there is, I add more icing sugar. The minute the buttery taste is gone, I stop adding sugar. This, I feel, gives me a lovely buttercream, that isn't too sweet , nor too buttery. Perfect for my taste! :)

Then with a piping bag, fitted with a patterned nozzle, pipe a large swirl of buttercream onto the top of the now flattened bun and flick up so that it has that iconic ice-cream look about it. Pop the flake in the side at a jaunty angle and sprinkle some of the flake that naturally crackes when braking the flake into three and they are done!

Yum!



I found that these were lovely wee buns, that were full of charm, fun and yummieness! My mum actually posted them on her Facebook page a while ago and since then, I have gone from 7 to 1. A lovely friend, come new cusotmer came and bought them! No baked goods are safe once on social media!

Thank you so much Anne for buying them and I hope you enjoy those little delights!? I loved making them!

Have a lovely evening all and I will blog again soon, but you all already know that. You're probably looking for some peace and quiet. Sorry to disappoint.

Thanks again and give me a call, text, email or Facebook message if you are wanting anything baked, cooked or catered for!












































































































No comments:

Post a Comment