Sunday 18 October 2015

Cinnamon Buns


Good Morning you lovely lot!

Yesterday I made Cinnamon Buns! Why you ask? Well I have an order for them in a few weeks and had never made them before. The obvious thing to do to correct this lack of experience would be to try them and get to know what they should feel like, smell like and taste like. Taking texture, appearance and aeration into thought.

This of course being 70% down to the yeast and whether it activates or not. 20% depends on the day, is it a humid or slightly warmer day? If not, radiators or ovens being on and warm atmospheres provided by boiling pots of water are needed. 10% Human ability. I have to make sure that I am weighing the ingredients precisely, kneading the dough long enough, not over proving the dough, rolling it out correctly as to not knock out all the air and baking it long enough.

(I promise to my mother now for everyone to witness that I will not boil water to the extend of last time... I'm somewhat of an experimental cook/ baker in a way...)

Let's just say, I had to wash the walls down. Leave it there.

Anyway, I am glad to say that these turned out just as desired. They were golden, fluffy and full of cinnamon and height. If they hadn't been, I wouldn't be blogging it. (:

The equipment you'll need for these buns are;

- 2 Baking trays; greased with oil or butter and leave aside to sit. I would cover it though in case of dust. But whatever you think...

- Scales; to weigh the ingredients

- Air tight container; clean and with a lock to seal tight

- A Rolling pin; to roll out the dough

- A Sharp knife; to cut the cinnamon buns into parts

- Pastry Brush; to brush butter and glaze onto buns

- A Spoon

I have listed the equipment in order of use and need.

This is a Paul Hollywood recipe. I've made a few adjustments to make them my own though, which is good. Now I can call them my own. Isn't that what recipes are for, finding a starting off point and then letting your creativity take over? Making them your own and unique to you and what you like and don't like.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1803633/christmas-buns

Ha! Look at that, I discovered the link adding thingamabob! :D

The ingredients that you'll need for these buns are:

Paul said these make 9 Buns, mine made 7, but I has scrappy ends so maybe they could have made up the extra 2?

DOUGH:



- 500g Strong White Bread Flour. This is one of those times where I have to say that it must be strong white bread flour. Plain flour or baking flour won't do.

- 7g Dried Fast Action Yeast. This is handy as where I buy my yeast, it comes in packs, sealed and airtight. It is only an added benefit that they are 7g portions as well.

- 300ml Milk. In his recipe it didn't specify what milk. I used a mixture of whole milk and semi skimmed. 240ml of whole : 60ml semi skimmed.

- 40g Unsalted butter

- 1 egg

- Vegetable Oil, again no exact measurement. This is for the bowl or container you are proving the dough in. I used spray oil, which is just oil in a spray bottle to put less in. I used 12 squirts to cover the container I was using.

If you want to know, this equated to 24 Calories as 1 squirt = 2 calories.


FILLING:



- The recipe stated to use 75g Brown Sugar. I used 80g of Golden Caster Sugar.

- 25g Unsalted butter; melted

- Again the recipe said to add 2tsp of Ground Cinnamon. I used 3 tbsp, as it wasn't strong enough in cinnamon for my taste. I mean, these are called cinnamon buns, hence there should be a strong taste of cinnamon. It's like me having a birthday party for my sister and then not inviting her. What is the point in calling it her party?

Paul's recipe called for a lot of fruit in the dough middle. I didn't want that. Mainly because I was going for a more traditional Scandinavian Cinnamon Bun. I found a recipe online, but wanted to use a recipe I knew more, combining the two. Anyway, there was nary a piece of fruit in this Scandinavian bun recipe to be found.

Conclusion: I added no fruit; again making it more my own and similar to this Scandinavian recipe I found.

Although, the only two differences I can find between the two types of buns, probably in my own ignorance, are the glaze. Paul's recipe calls for icing sugar and water (I left out the lemon) and the Scandinavian recipe calls for Pearl Sugar. Look I might, in fact all over the shops, can I find pearl sugar- the answer is no. I would have to special order it. I guess there isn't a great need or demand for it in Home Baking and Catering which is what I do. I'm a home caterer and all food is produced in my kitchen.

And second, the sugar, one calls for soft, brown and the other granulated. As I am trying to make these more a Scandinavian influence, I used golden caster, as it has a more granulated feel.

This can all be put down to one's interpretation.


GLAZE:



- 50g Caster Sugar
- 4 tbsp water

- Heat these in a pot until the sugar is dissolved and is bubbling away in a syrup like fashion. Don't touch it. It'll not just burn a little for a second, like when you lean on a hob ring that is on or was. It is like a clingy overgrown baby (7 yrs) (my opinion being that cut off should be 1 or shortly after), still wanting to breastfeed. This sugar will latch onto your skin and suck until it pulls it off. Or at least makes it feel like that. Descriptive enough for you?

ICING ON TOP:



- 50g Icing sugar
- Only enough water to give you a thick icing

- Put the icing sugar into a bowl and put a little water in at a time until it becomes a thick paste like texture. If you put too much in, just add more icing sugar.


METHOD:

- The recipe says to grease your tin now and leave aside. I do it when I need it.

- Weigh out the ingredients and leave aside ready for use shortly.

- Into a mixer, put in the flour and salt and give them a brief mix to combine.


- Heat the milk and butter in a pan over medium heat until the butter has melted and it goes from having flecks of yellow, to having a yellow covering.


Think of it as Pâté, it'll go from having no yellow topping to one with a yellow topping. This is thanks to the butter being melted.


- Once this has melted and has cooled down to the lukewarm stage, add in one whole egg. Do this while whisking the mixture, as even though a very small chance, it might still curdle. It won't, as mine didn't if you whisk while adding.

- With the mixer on a low speed, gradually and slowly pour in the egg, milk and butter mix until fully combined.


- Mix this on the bread hook attachment until the dough is formed, it isn't sticky and is coming away from the sides. Another good way to make sure it is done is to press your finger on it gently. If and when it doesn't stick to the dough and the dent in the dough fills itself again (it has elastic properties to it) it is done.

- At this stage, you want to oil your chosen container and plop the dough in it to prove and rise for around 40 minutes or as I left it for maybe an hour.


- There's nothing much else you can do at this stage. Entertain yourself. (:

- Once the dough has rise to double its original size, make the filling.


- Melt the butter and leave aside. Combine the cinnamon and sugar together into a bowl and leave aside as well.


- Take the dough out and plop onto a lightly floured surface.


- Roll it out to a rectangular shape until it is 1cm thick.


- Brush on the melted butter all over the rectangular dough and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar.


- Roll the dough into a tight cylinder shape, length ways so that it is longer and slightly thinner, as opposed to shorter and slightly thicker.


- Cut off the loose ends that are a bit tragic looking if there are any. Cut into even pieces and sit onto the greased baking sheet that you'll now have. If the end of the dough, where the roll was finished is coming away slightly, just give it a pinch and that'll stick it.
Note to Self: Do NOT use baking parchment. Use butter and flour as it'll make it easier getting them off when baked.

- Cover with cling film and allow these to rise for 30 minutes again. Whilst they are rising for a second time, preheat the oven to 170 C Fan Oven, 190 C in others, Mark 5 Gas.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1803633/christmas-buns

- Once the buns have risen for a second time, put them into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown and risen. I took mine out when they looked the correct shape and were lightly golden on the edges and tops.

- They'll look kinda bread like and not so much bun like at this stage, but only in appearance.


- To make them more bun like in appearance, brush over the sugar syrup, sides and all. This will not only give them a sweet and sticky coating, but it will also give them an attractive shine, making them appealing to look at.


- As if this wasn't enough, add the icing sugar icing. This is made with icing sugar and water. Once you have the desired, thick texture, use a spoon or piping bag to dribble over the buns. No too much as that is another Scandinavian influence I think. Using less icing. So instead of coating them in the icing all over, I only dribbled it over.


- Put them onto a cooling rack to cool and they are done!




I really enjoyed making these and it was great learning a new skill! I hope you try them too and make your own twists and adjustments as I did to make them your own.

Thanks

Ciara


No comments:

Post a Comment