Saturday 16 January 2016

Chickpea and Chorizo Stew



Sup all!

I'm trying to throw some relaxing vibes out there, hence my more chilled-back greeting today. It's Saturday; the day of fluffy socks, DVD's and farting about the house. (when I say 'farting' I don't mean passing wind, I mean, pottering, chilling, faffing around- relaxing in general)

Today, I got up, did some paperwork and walked the dog (who then decided she didn't like the cold on her paws. She then proceeded to sniff trees for around 10 minutes, knowing very well I'd get fed up and go back). I then searched recipes online; looking for something full of flavour, had depth and intensity for dinner. As it is a cold, wet and icy day, I wanted something warm, spicy and terrifically full of flavour!

So, I was negotiating the slippery pavements on route to the shops, when I see mother driving up the road. She then offers me a lift, much to my delight, as the realisation of my poor shoe choice was weighing me down and literally making me slip.

This is a Nigel Slater recipe. I have made some changes to suit my tastes and to make it more unique to me. 

The equipment you will need are:

- Chopping board and a knife
- Frying pan and pot
- Spatula 

Ingredients needed; this recipe said it served 2 people, but after making it, I think it would serve 4:


- 2-3 tbsp of Oil; I used Rapeseed as I like the taste
- 2 Large Onions; chopped into small chunks
- 4 cloves of Garlic; I used 6 as they weren't very big and added a little garlic powder
- 3 Chorizo sausages; I bought 150g packs of already chopped chorizo. 

I know, I know, sounds lazy. But you just call me when you are struggling to peel and chop 3 whole chorizo sausages and cook it all within 40 minutes; which I did. Why get messy with meat, when you can buy it prepared for the same price and less mess around the kitchen?

- 1 glass of White Wine; whatever you have. I sneaked some of mother's Sauvignon, so I think this will taste good...

- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes; with juice 
- 2 x 400g tins of Chickpeas; without the juice 

I then added:

- 2 tsp Paprika; sweet with a little heat
- 1/2 tsp Garlic granules 
- 1 Red Pepper; chopped into small chunks 

I left out the dried chillies that the recipe called for, as mother doesn't like heat, what can I say, the woman can't hack it.

For my serving, as I like heat, I added a few dashes of Tabasco to give it more heat.

Method:

- What you want to do first is heat the oil in a pan and warm it through. 



- Add in the onion and cook it slowly until it softens through and goes slightly translucent.


- Add the chopped garlic and peppers and cook them until softened as well. 


After all of these are softened and cooked through, chuck them into a deep pot, that has been heating on low. Use the pan that the onion, garlic and peppers were cooked in and pop the chorizo in.


- Cook the sliced chorizo in the pan with the tiniest dribble of oil. I found that a little of the Rapeseed oil, invited the natural oils of the chorizo out. The recipe said to boil the chorizo within the stew, but I decided to fry it slightly before, as I wanted a really intense flavour and that meant making the chorizo a little crispier by frying it, using its own oils and a little added oil. 


The chorizo oil will give this stew added depth, which is another thing I wanted.

- Whilst the chorizo is cooking and infusing, add the chickpeas and tinned tomatoes into the pot, along with the onion, garlic and peppers.


- To help the flavours mix and infuse together, pour in the wine and I added a glass of water as well to cut down the alcohol flavour, as I didn't want it. All I wanted from the wine was aroma and liquid to make the stew lighter.



- Chuck in the chorizo; oil and all, and allow the whole thing to infuse and intensify in flavour and depth.



- Season with a little salt and pepper if needed. Serve with a slice of crusty bread.

You could add some chopped parsley on top of this or some creme fraiche?






That is it- I hope you try this as it is really delicious! 

Have a lovely evening all!

Till next time...

Ciara

No comments:

Post a Comment