Sunday 31 January 2016

Mini Ginger-nut Biscuits


A very warm welcome to you all!

I'm very pleased that whom ever you may be, that you have come back to read the ramblings that are within my mind. 

Today has been a wet, muggy day. Not too warm, but not exactly cold either. I was out driving with the madre for one part of the day, to then arrive home and remember that my sister wanted fizzy drinks. 

We then went out again, this time not with mama, but with Cรบshla. This was interesting, as she had never been out with me alone before. I am happy to say, it was successful. Now I am snuggled up on the sofa, eating freshly baked ginger biscuits and drinking the alcohol of my people- Guinness.

I don't add any of that blackcurrant shit either. Guinness is Guinness and shouldn't be messed with. It is perfect.

Back to the baking.

These biscuits are delicious. They're crunchy, crispy, gooey and full of glorious gingery goodness. 3 small nibbles and they're gone. Deliciously moreish.  

These would be great for any kind of gathering, as nibbles are always welcome to the party. They're not too big; making you feel like a right porker, but not too small to make you feel short- changed.

So if these look like they'd be up your alley, then pop onto Facebook and check out my Business Page- CVL Bakes and get an order for these bad boys! I'll price them for you, bake them for you and then deliver them for you! (Within Northern Ireland)

The ingredients that you will need for these little pieces of happiness are: (This dough makes around 40, 20g biscuits.)

This is a BBC Food recipe. With some Ciara modifications...

Ingredients:



- 340g Plain Flour
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger- I put 3 1/2 in
- 160g Light brown sugar

- 100g Butter
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 1 Beaten Egg- I didn't bother beating the egg, it's all going to the same, dark space inside my tum tum when it is all baked.

So, already I'm loving this recipe for two reasons;

1) It leaves room for adding in your own ideas and techniques
2) Nearly all the ingredients are ingredients that are staples in your kitchen

Making this an all round great wee recipe to bake whenever you have the urge, as I did today.


Method:

- Get a big bowl. A clean bowl. A worthy bowl. These biscuits are beautiful, so they deserve the best of crockery that you can muster up. 

- Chuck the flour, bicarb, ginger and sugar into the bowl and give it a quick mix around to mesh all the ingredients together.

- Add in the butter and you can either give this a mix with the mixer as well or use your fingers to partially rub the butter into the dry ingredients. This will make bread crumbs and lighten the mix.



- Add in the egg and then mix briefly and then the golden syrup.



- Switch in and out of medium and fast speeds on the mixer to bind the crumbs together into a smooth paste like dough. It should be light, fluffy and a soft texture and consistency. 



- Weigh little 20g pieces of the ginger dough and using your palms, roll into a relatively round shape. 



- Drop onto a baking tray that has been lined with baking paper and chuck into the pre-heated oven to bake.


Look at how light and fluffy the dough is. This is because it hasn't been over-handled with sweaty palms. Not that my hands are sweaty. Quite often actually they are cold and dead like- thanks to poor circulation to my hands and feet. But we'll get into that another time...


- Bake them for around 8 minutes until they are golden brown, slightly rippled with cracks and risen into little mounds.



- Take out of the oven when baked, slide the baking paper off the tray and either leave on the cooling rack on the paper or slide each one off the paper and onto a cooling rack using a pallet knife.

- Cool for 15 minutes and then enjoy!




These are delicious little bundles of pure enjoyment. 

Hope you enjoyed this?

Flip me, I love this baking lark! It is just so enjoyable!

Bye for now.

Ciara

No comments:

Post a Comment